I finally fixed my brake squeal. I turned out that I had to add some washers in addition to the aluminum tubing spacer on the screw that holds the steering arm to the brake backing plate. Either the spacer wasn't long enough or the that hub carrier was not built quite right. Tightening the nut on that screw without the extra washers would cause the brake backing plate to deform a bit. After adding the washers, tightening the nut would not deform the brake backing plate. The squeal was gone.
For anyone who has been experiencing squealing from the front drum brakes: This has been a problem with some of the new drum brakes. (Unusually, more of the right brakes are affected than the left.) We have investigated this and come up with what we hope is a long-term solution: Remove the wheel by unscrewing the nut on the axle. Wipe out the accumulation of brake dust on the drum surface and brake pads with a clean rag. Next sand the inside surface of the brake drum(I used 220 grit sandpaper). Sand the drum thoroughly all the way around. Then wipe out the sanded grit. Reattach the wheel. This should eliminate the squealing. It seems that there is some surface irregularity on the drums, and my theory is that the brake pads are being abraded and the brake dust is causing the squealing. I did this on a brake that had chronic squealing, and no amount of cleaning would help for more than 5 minutes. After sanding the drum smooth, the brake exhibited absolutely no squealing for a very extended ride. I'm hoping this will be permanent solution. We'll keep everyone posted on any new developments.